THE FOLLOWING TREATMENT IS OFFERED
Hepatectomy: The removal of tumours from the liver. This is done by the removal of only the part in which the tumour is in, a larger portion of the liver or an entire lobe leaving behind an enough portion of liver tissue in order for the liver to continue in its functions and so that it regenerates. This surgery is dependent on whether cancer has spread to nearby lymph nodes and whether the liver is in good working order as well as on the size, number, and location of cancer.
Pancreatic Cancer Treatment Programs
The pancreas is located deep in the abdomen and is part both the digestive system and the endocrine system. 90% of the pancreas is responsible for the production of enzymes that aid in digesting fat, cholesterol, and proteins the remaining 10% is responsible for the production of hormones, such as insulin and glucagon, that regulate glucose metabolism. Pancreatic cancer is often hard to detect due to its deep location within the body and because it gives off little symptoms until the cancer is well developed. There are two types of pancreatic cancers the first and most common is cancer of the exocrine pancreas (the part of the pancreas that makes the enzymes); the second is cancer of the endocrine pancreas (the part of the pancreas that makes the hormones).
THE FOLLOWING TREATMENT PROGRAMS ARE OFFERED
- Pancreatoduodenectomy: also known as the Whipple procedure and is the most commonly performed surgery for pancreatic cancer. This procedure is the removal of tumours found in the head of the pancreas (the widest part and where most tumours are found). Due to the fact that the pancreas is intermingled with other organs, the duodenum (the first part of the small intestine), bile duct and at times part of the stomach are also removed and then are reconnected to the digestive and biliary system.
- Distal pancreatoduodenectomy: the body and tail of the pancreas (the narrowest part) are surgically removed when tumours are located in one of these two areas. This procedure also includes the removal of the spleen.
- Total pancreatoduodenectomy: performed if the cancer is in an advanced stage and has spread to many parts or the whole of the pancreas. It entails the removal of the entire pancreas, part of the small intestine, a portion of the stomach, the common bile duct, the gallbladder, the spleen, and nearby lymph nodes. Please note that this procedure is inoperable with obstructive jaundice (a blockage of the flow of bile from the liver to the duodenum also known as mechanical jaundice).
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
- The above program does not include medications for certain conditions such as
depression, blood coagulation, etc.
- Medicaments, fluids, blood and derivatives to be used, as well as additional procedure(s)
performed not included in the exact treatment would be invoiced separately on upon the conclusion of said treatment / procedure(s)