The program has a mandatory pre-medical Spanish proficiency course for non-Spanish speaking students unless showing the mastery of the Spanish language, demonstrated through a proficiency test (oral and written) at a price of 75.00 USD which is not included in the price of any of the under grade careers.
The purpose of the course is to prepare is to arm the student with deep knowledge of the Spanish language and all relevant vocabulary related to Biomedical Sciences. It also prepares students in the development of the teaching process including evaluations.
Non-Spanish speaking Student:
The program’s duration is 7 years. It includes 1 year of Spanish pre-med training in addition to the standard 6-year degree program.
Total cost of the program, including premedical and Spanish language courses, is 69,300.00 USD and is divided as follows:
Accommodation in CubaHeal students’ residence for the 1st year of Spanish Pre-med program is included.
Spanish speaking Student:
The program’s duration is 6.5 years. For Spanish speaking visitors interested in this program, kindly visit our sister company by clicking on the image below: https://chmt-la.com/doctor-en-medicina/
La duración del programa es de 6,5 años. Para los visitantes de habla hispana interesados en este programa, visite nuestra empresa hermana haciendo clic en la imagen a continuación: https://chmt-la.com/doctor-en-medicina/
- All non-Spanish speaking students are required to enroll in a 1-year pre-med program intended to deepen students’ knowledge of the Spanish language related to Biomedical Sciences and also to train the students in the development of the teaching process.
- Upon submitting your application, it will be recorded in a database and is only valid for the academic year in which it was requested. Otherwise, if you do not attend in that period, you must make a new formal request.
The above prices include the following:
- Right of attendance to all practical and theoretical teaching activities
- Right to all the exams including the final state examination.
- Marks certification.
- Title duly legalized by the University of Medical Sciences where the student has attended studies at the end of the program.
- Use of library services during the studies.
- Access to sport and cultural areas of the University of Medical Sciences
- Participation in its various manifestations and scientific advisory for research works.
The above prices do not include the following:
- Accommodation for year 1st – 6th year
- Learning materials
- National or international transportation
- Telephone services and/or internet services
- Immigration procedures in Cuba
- Change of migratory status
- Identity document for year 1st – 6th year
- Translations and legalization at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or embassies
- Health insurance or medical care
- Paperwork and transfer of the deceased in case of death.
Summary of the Medical Degree Curriculum
The Medicine degree was one of the 4 foundational degrees of the Royal and Pontifical University of San Jeronimo de La Habana, in January 1728. Since its foundation, for 234 years, there was only one School of Medicine in Cuba, located in the capital city. In order to respond to the growing health care needs of the Cuban population and to generate resources to offer medical aid in solidarity with sister countries, in 1962 the development of a process of extension of higher medical education to the whole country began. At present, there are 21 Faculties of Medical Sciences, plus the Latin American School of Medicine, with the University of Medical Sciences of Havana as the leading center in the country.
The ELAM was created in 1999, at the request of Commander Fidel Castro, as a Cuban solidarity response to the natural disasters that occurred in Central America, when it was hit by Hurricane Mitch (1998), with great human and material losses, which aggravated the health condition of the population in the area.
The level of health of the Cuban population is one of the highest in Latin America and the 3rd world, comparable to that offered by 1st world countries.
The Cuban health care system provides qualified comprehensive medical care to the entire population, free of charge, with universal coverage and accessibility, at all levels of care: from community health centers to the network of hospitals and specialized secondary and tertiary services.
The Medicine Degree Curriculum (PENSUM)
- The Medicine degree curriculum is unique for the entire system of higher medical education, with some flexibility in order to make room for some requirements derived from different backgrounds, entry level and health status.
Name: The Medicine degree.
Curriculum organization: Semester-based, except for the internship, which is one year.
Length of Program: It lasts six years, the first five of which are organized in ten semesters as academic periods and one year of rotating internship.
Admission requirements: Approved pre-university level.
Number of curricular units: 66
Academic degree: Medical Doctor.
Accreditation: Title of Medical Doctor
- The model of the professional or Professional Profile of the degree declared in the curriculum is a general practitioner.
- The aim is to graduate general practitioners prepared to practice with solid knowledge and a scientific approach. Within an ethical framework of action, they provide comprehensive medical care to children, adolescents, adults, pregnant women and the elderly, as well as to families, outpatients or hospitalized patients, through actions of health promotion, prevention, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation in the physical, psychological and social spheres. They also perform administrative, educational, self-educational and research actions, as well as environmental health care
- There are 4 areas of general competencies or functions of the physician: Comprehensive medical care, Education, Research, Administration and Specialty.
- The program defines 220 health problems to be identified and solved, according to levels of action and 224 skills to be developed.
- It promotes active learning methods, increases cognitive independence and the student’s protagonism. It seeks a balance between theory and practice. Emphasis is placed on group activities and activities related to the participation of students in health care processes (education at work). Lectures are reduced and take on a guiding nature, the student should have space for information research.
- The amount of time for independent study and work in the first 2 years is 4 hours per day, which increases significantly from the 3rd year onwards. The average time for self-study fluctuates between 15 and 30 hours per week, according to the academic year.
- The performance of night and day shifts from the 3rd year onwards, with 6 to 8 hours per week, as a mandatory minimum, in on-call corps, intermediate and intensive care units, including Saturdays and Sundays with a longer schedule (12 to 24 hours).
- The curriculum establishes extracurricular activities, such as the Student Scientific Activity, Knowledge Meetings, Award Exams, Student Assistantship Movement, Special Attention to Students with exceptional academic performance, cultural, sports and recreational activities.
- To graduate, the student must pass a National External State Examination, which consists of a practical and a theoretical examination, which proves the acquisition of the established professional competencies. In order to take the State Exam, the student must have passed, through practical and theoretical exams, 5 rotations of the Internship.
Organization of the Medicine Degree Curriculum
- The curriculum consists of 66 curricular units, including subjects, optional and elective courses.
- It has a total of 10840 hours, of which 2784 correspond to the internship.
- The curriculum is based on active learning, does not prioritize lectures over the remaining theoretical activities (such as seminars, laboratory classes, workshop classes, theoretical-practical activities) and gives greater relevance to the development in the students of the modes of professional performance to health care activities, which we call education at work.
The Medicine degree curriculum program.
*Contents of cell, prenatal development and basic tissues.
** Contents of integumentary system and osteomyoarticular system
*** Contents of the nervous system
**** Contents of endocrine regulation
Note: The subject Medical Informatics can be taken in the first or second semester of the first year.
*Contents of blood, hemolymphopoietic system and cardiovascular system.
** Contents of the respiratory, renal and digestive systems.
Note: The subject Research Methodology and Statistics can be taken in the first or second semester of this academic year.
Prior and upon the student’s arrival to the Republic of Cuba, CubaHeal Inc will be responsible for coordinating and concluding the following logistical issues:
Prior to the student’s arrival:
- Ensure adequate accommodation in or near the school.
- Keep constant line of communication with the university’s administration to confirm seat reservation.
- Arranging for airport pickup
Upon the Student’s Arrival:
- Airport pickup
- An orientation session to familiarize the student with:
- CubaHeal team.
- local transportation.
- Other aspects relating to and city’s facilities as well as relevant immigration and legal laws that must be adhered to in the Republic of Cuba.
- Establishment of bank
- Stand as a permanent point of reference for the student should a need arises.
- Stand as a permanent point of reference to the student’s relatives overseas should the need arises.
For students interested in the above program, kindly note the following:
Click on and fill out STUDENT APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION INTO A MEDICAL PROGRAM form;
CubaHeal requests an initial deposit of CA $ 135.00 for the submission of all university admittance forms. To that end, please be aware of the following:
- Should the Cuban Academic Services Authorities (CASA) approve a student and should the student agree to the enrollment’s terms and conditions, the initial deposit will be deducted from the total cost of the 1st year of the program.
- Should the Cuban Academic Services Authorities (CASA) refuse the enrollment of a student, CubaHeal will refund the full amount less any applicable transfer fees.
- Should the student reject the educational program proposed by the Cuban Academic Services Authorities (CASA), CubaHeal reserves the right to retain the deposit and treat it as a consultation fee.
–> WHY CUBA AS A MEDICAL TREATMENT DESNTINATION
–> WHY CHOOSE CUBAHEAL